Made with Moxie: Be the good

December 27, 2012

Be the good


I try to be a good person. It is one of my parenting goals to teach my children to be good people. The shootings at the Sandy Hook Elementary school have shook me. More so than any other violent event to date. I don't know if it is because I am now a parent, but every time I look into Jane's innocent face I weep for those sweet angels and their families. Losing my children is my worst fear. I want to take action. I can not stop the crazies of the world. The only way I know to combat hate is with love. (This is not true, since I am a terrific fighter, but showing love seems to be the only way to have an effect on hate and keep me out of jail.) It is not easy to show love in the face of hate. But know that anger thrown in the face of anger only breeds war. (Or sends me to jail.)

If you have young children like I do, I am certain you have days where bedtime seems too far away. A few weeks ago my husband and I had reached our limits well before dinner was over. I ordered everyone to get their effing shoes and coats on and get in the damn car. We spent the next hour or so parking in front of our neighbors homes to ogle their holiday lights. Jane squealed with delight at each candy cane and cartoon character. Jimmy for once was silent in awe.

As we tucked our passed out little bugs into bed that night, it occurred to me that we ought to thank our neighbors. This was not our first, or last trip out to stalk their decorations. I wanted them to know that their efforts were not only appreciated, but helped put Team Dorsey into a much more merry mood. So this is what we did:

I shrunk our awesome Christmas card drawing that Rachael of imagine gnats made for us and printed them out onto card stock. On each one I hand wrote a thank you note. Because I think a hand written note kind of makes it more personal.


We spent ten dollars at the dollar store on chocolates and put them all into snack sized zip lock bags so they would stay dry. On the evening of the twenty-third we went cruised the neighborhoods again; my husband and I running from the car like jackasses to leave our secret treats on porches.

Next month I am participating in an online auction of handmade items and craft/sewing supplies. The auction will take place January 14-18. 100% of funds raised will be donated to Newtown Parent Connection (http://www.newtownparentconnection.org/), where all funds will go directly to those affected by the shooting in Newton. If you have anything that you could donate to this cause, I would love for you to be a part of this as well. Please visit Rachael or Kelley to sign up.

Here is a sneak peak at my donations:



I hope all of your Holidays were merry and bright. And I expect to see you at teh auction! I'll post the link as soon as it is available.